As I put some syrup on last week I carried out a check today prior to the full checks starting next week. They didn't need topping up but I replaced the 2 end brood frames as they hadn't properly drawn it out last year and as it was old, fresh foundation might get them going. I managed to spot eggs and plenty of sealed brood, including the odd drone brood cells.
There was even a play cup, but no egg! (photo from archive).
There was some unsealed brood and lots of pollen ready to feed the larvae. Stores weren't too bad either and they were quite calm.
If you spot any bees foraging around the campus, please let me know